Kentucky Vehicle Registration Renewal
What You'll Need
Requirements & Restrictions
Not all plates and vehicles are eligible for online renewal.
Review the following details before you start the process:
- Vehicles registered in separate counties to the current owner must be renewed separately.
- Leased vehicles cannot be renewed online.
- The vehicle(s) renewed must have unexpired registration(s).
- The owner of the vehicle(s) cannot have overdue property taxes on any other vehicles they own.
- Vehicle(s) must be currently insured with a company that is registered with the Kentucky Department of Insurance to be eligible to renew online. If you have obtained insurance within the last 45 days, your information may not be in our database. This will prohibit you from renewing your vehicle online. Please visit your County Clerk's office to renew.
- The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act exempts certain military personnel from paying personal vehicle Ad Valorem tax. To find out if you qualify for the exemption, please contact the Property Valuation Administrator’s (PVA) office in your county of residence. Click here to find your county PVA.
Be Sure Your Address is Correct
Take a look at the address on your registration receipt. This must be your current address. Registration materials are mailed to this address.
If your current address does not match your registration receipt, please contact your County Clerk and have it updated before you register online.
Fees, Payment Methods & Processing
- Online renewal transactions are not complete until the County Clerk processes your information. Please allow at least 5 working days following your online renewal for processing of information and mailing of credentials to you.
- The online renewal service is provided by a third party working in partnership with the Commonwealth of Kentucky. A portion of the fees collected in this transaction includes funds to develop, maintain, and enhance the state’s official web portal, Kentucky.gov.
- A $2.00 fee per vehicle will be added to cover mailing costs.
- Payment methods include VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
Please use the most recent version of Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
If you need any assistance, please contact your local County Clerk.