Department of Parks
Runners and walkers are invited to compete in a unique series of 5K runs/fun walks featured at five Kentucky State Parks. Take this opportunity to participate in challenging courses with various park terrains. We encourage runners/walkers to participate in the entire series of races.
Begin the series March 22, 2014 at Lake Cumberland State Resort Park in Jamestown. Continue the race series at the parks listed below.
- E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park
- Barren River Lake State Resort Park
- Taylorsville Lake State Park
- Rough River Dam State Resort Park
Bring your whole family for a weekend getaway and enjoy our beautiful state parks.
- Turkey Strut 5K (Lake Cumberland State Resort Park) - March 22, 2014; Preregistration Cutoff: March 12
- Goose Creek 5K (E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park) - April 5, 2014; Preregistration Cutoff: March 26
- Spring Hoot 5K (Barren River Lake State Resort Park) - May 10, 2014; Preregistration Cutoff: April 30
- Possum Ridge 5K (Taylorsville Lake State Park) - June 14, 2014; Preregistration Cutoff: June 4
- Magnolia 5K (Rough River Dam State Resort Park) - July 12, 2014; Preregistration Cutoff: July 2
Awards, T-shirts and Prizes
Awards for each race include an overall male and female winner, and 1st and 2nd place winners of each age division, male and female. Registration fees for each race include t-shirts that are guaranteed for pre-registered runners. Week prior and day of race registrations will be available while supplies last.
Points are awarded for each of the races and combined for a cumulative score. Grand Prize winners will be named during an award ceremony at Lake Cumberland State Resort Park.
The Grand Prize is awarded to the male and female accumulating the most points upon completion of the series. First runner-up for both male and female categories will receive awards as well. Anyone who participates in the entire series of 5K races will receive a certificate of recognition and will be registered for a special giveaway.
The Point System
Points are awarded for each of the runs and combined for a cumulative score. Points are awarded for both male and female participants as follows.
- 18:00 and under: 10 points
- 18:01 to 20:00: 9 points
- 20:01 to 22:00: 8 points
- 22:01 to 24:00: 7 points
- 24:01 to 26:00: 6 points
- 26:01 to 28:00: 5 points
- 28:01 to 30:00: 4 points
- 30:01 to 32:00: 3 points
- 32:01 to 34:00: 2 points
- 34:01 and up: 1 point
- Overall winner: 5 points
- Grand Masters and Masters: 4 points
- 1st place (each age group): 4 points
- 2nd place (each age group): 3 points
- 3rd place (each age group): 2 points
- Participants completing race: 1 point
Men and Women Age Divisions
- 15 and under
- 70 and over
In order to be eligible for series awards, runners must compete in all five races. Pre-registration for the series is not required, but is available. If you do not pre-register for the series but wish to compete in the series, please check the box “Competing in the Series” on each race registration form before each race. Runners who have a birthday during the series that requires them to change age groups will be competing for awards in the age group they finish the series in.