Essay and Slogan Contest Rules
1. The Essay Contest is open to all Kentucky high school students in grades 9-12.
2. The Slogan Contest is open to all Kentucky middle school students in grades 6-8.
3. Entries are limited to one per student. Previous contest entries will not be accepted.
4. Essay entries may not exceed 1,000 words. All entries must be typed and double-spaced.
5. Student and school names may not appear anywhere in the body of the essay or slogan.
6. All entries must be submitted by 5 p.m. (EST) Tuesday, January
7. Entries become the property of the Kentucky Secretary of State’s Office and will not
8. All guidelines must be met for any entry to be considered by contest judges.
Note: Family members of employees of the Office of the Secretary of State or the State
Board of Elections are not eligible to enter the Essay Contest.
Essay Prompt (grades 9-12)
“What can Kentucky do to recruit more poll workers?” Please limit your essay to 1,000 words.
Slogan Prompt (grades 6-8):
Kentucky is ever in need of people to serve as poll workers. Suggest a slogan to promote poll worker recruitment.